iBox by W2IHY
W2IHY Technologies designed iBox at the request of amateurs using studio audio equipment and needing a more versatile way to Level Match, RF Isolate, Audio Isolate, Impedance Match and PTT Control.
iBox gives you a professionally built solution that doesn’t waste your time or your money.
Like all W2IHY products, iBox is made specifically for amateur radio use.
In a perfect world, audio signals would cheerfully stream around the shack, up and down the rack and arrive in pristine condition at the transmitter, ready to make you proud. But real-world line level and mic level audio signals say to their buddies “Hey, it’s ugly out there, don’t make me go.” The ugly gremlin list includes:
- Hum that barges in with an arrogant attitude saying “I’m here, deal with it.” Whether from ground loops or induced fields, all hum is equally unwelcome and doesn’t care.
- Level discrepancies take pleasure in confounding well-meaning inputs and outputs. They intentionally make signal levels too light or too heavy, whichever creates maximum inconvenience for you, the radio guy.
- Impedance mismatches have a good day when they upset level match, turning system gain into system migraine. On their finest days, mismatches also introduce phase distortion, causing previously well-shaped audio to barely recognize its new figure.
- RF might be the ugliest gremlin of all. RF considers itself more important than audio, perhaps because it knows more ways to travel. RF loves to get rectified and go along for the ride with the innocent audio signal. When amateur radio transmitters join forces with additional RF-generating devices in the shack, it’s party time.
If one or more of those horror stories sound familiar, you’re ready for iBox by W2IHY.
iBox is a versatile accessory for amateurs who are serious about their audio.
To know this little black box is to love it. It performs the tasks of several different pieces of equipment, giving you a zillion interfacing options to make all of your ham shack audio dreams come true.
- Use iBox to interface external audio devices to your radio equipment. Wideband frequency throughput. Modern and classic transmitters supported.
- Rack Users: iBox is the solution for component-to-component interfacing within the audio chain. Any number of iBox units may be used for clean multi-stage signal routing.
- Adjust the continuously-variable attenuator to achieve precise audio level match for sweet sound.
- Isolate your audio from ugly hum caused by ground loops/stray fields.
- Isolate your audio from RF with effective RFI protection on both the input and output.
- Achieve optimum impedance match. Low-Z to Low-Z … or … Low-Z to Hi-Z.
- Interface any combination of balanced and unbalanced audio gear.
- Extensive input and output cable wiring options give you incredible versatility in real-world applications. Wiring documentation included.
- Optional custom-made cables available for your specific requirements.
- Convenient PTT jack
If you are already using mic cables made for W2IHY EQs, you’ll be glad to know that iBox follows identical conventions for output-to-radio wiring. So, the cables are fully interchangeable.
Dimensions –4” W x 1-3/4 H x 1-3/4 D